Victoria City Tour
1040 Moss Street – Art Gallery of Greater Victoria
1040 Moss Street is the Art Gallery of Greater Victoria.
The original section of the building was built in 1888 by architect William Ridgway Wilson and building contractor George Mesher for Alexander Alfred Green (1834-1891). After the death of Alexander Alfred Green in 1891, the house was sold to David Spencer, who ran a chain of department stores in B.C., including a downtown Victoria store located in the 1200 block of Government Street where The Bay Centre stands now.
David Spencer bequeathed the house to his daughter who, in turn, bequeathed it to the Art Gallery of Greater Victoria on her death in 1951.
It has been the Art Gallery of Greater Victoria since 1951.
Here is a map showing the location of the Art Gallery of Greater Victoria, 1040 Moss Street:
Here is a Google Street View image of the Art Gallery of Greater Victoria, 1040 Moss Street:
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?
Error: Contact form not found.