Victoria City Tour
Moss Street – 1000 Block
1025 Moss Street
1025 Moss Street was designed by architect Samuel Maclure (1860-1929) for George & Josephine Richardson. It was built in 1912-13 and is Heritage Registered by the City of Victoria.
Here’s a map showing the location of 1025 Moss Street.
Here is a Google Street View image of 1025 Moss Street:
The view of 1025 Moss Street is currently obstructed by hedges. The photo below was taken in 2005 before the hedges grew to their present height.
Additional Information on 1025 Moss Street
- Assessed Value (July 2019): $1,485,000; Land $1,075,000 Buildings $410,000
- Assessed Value (July 2018): $1,615,000; Land $1,198,000 Buildings $417,000
- Assessed Value (July 2017): $1,533,000; Land $1,069,000 Buildings $464,000
- Assessed Value (July 2015): $1,069,000; Land $698,000 Buildings $371,000
- Assessed Value (July 2014): $990,000; Land $610,000 Buildings $380,000
- Victoria Heritage Foundation
A Brief History of 1025 Moss Street
1025 Moss Street was designed by architect Samuel Maclure (1860-1929) for George Richardson (1867-1922) and Josephine Richardson (nee Burkholder – 1876-1953).
George Richardson was the son of George Alfred Richardson, who had come to Victoria in 1850 and had built Victoria’s first brick hotel, best known as the Windsor Hotel, at 901-905 Government Street, at the corner of Government Street and Courtenay Street, in 1858.
George Richardson operated a dry goods business in downtown Victoria. After George Richardson’s death in 1922, Josephine Richardson lived here until her death in 1953.
The Richardson’s daughter Edith Lillian (1897-1983) married Ainslie Helmcken in 1924 and the Helmckens also lived here until 1953. Ainslie Helmcken started the City of Victoria Archives in 1965.
In 1970 the house was purchased for $50,000 by Dr. Derek Kidd, who was still living here in 2015.
1025 Moss Street is listed on Victoria’s Heritage Registry.
For more historical information on 1025 Moss Street, here is a link to a Victoria Heritage Foundation page.
901-905 Government Street was built by the Richardson family in 1858 as the Windsor Hotel.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?