1610-1612 Store Street – the Janion
It only a hotel for two years. In 1895, the building was purchased by the E&N Railway, which used it as its offices.
It has recently been renovated into condominiums.
It was formally recognized by the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 1995 and listed in 2006.
Here is a map showing the location of the Janion, 1610-1612 Store Street:
Here is a Google Street View image of the Janion, 1610-1612 Store Street:
Additional Information About the Janion, 1610-1612 Store Street
- Since 2016 the Janion at 1610 Store Street has been divided into 29 strata apartment units (condominiums) with another 93 strata apartment units (condominiums) in the addition at 456 Pandora Avenue, which was built in 2015-2016.
- Assessed Value (July 2015): $4,848,000; Land $3,045,000 Buildings $1,803,000
- Assessed Value (July 2014): $3,576,000; Land $2,876,000 Buildings $700,000
- Canadian Register of Historic Places – recognized in 1995 and listed in 2006
A Brief History of the Janion, 1612-1614 Store Street
Building owner John Turner (1833-1923) was Premier of British Columbia 1895-1898. He hired professional hoteliers, Walker and Reinhardt, to run the Janion Hotel for him.
The Janion Hotel was only in business for two years. In 1895, the building was purchased by the E&N Railway, which used it as its offices.
It was subsequently acquired by an owner who left the building unoccupied for decades, allowing it fall into decay. The same landlord also owned 1314 Wharf Street and 1316-1318 Wharf Street and allowed those buildings to deteriorate as well.
In 2015 It was renovated into 29 condominiums with a new addition built at 456 Pandora Avenue, at the west end of the original Janion building.
The Janion was formally recognized by the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 1995 and listed in 2006.
Here are some links to historic photos of the Janion:
- City of Victoria Archives photo M07258 – 1892
- BC Archives photo B-02225 – the Janion Hotel circa 1892.
- BC Archives photo D-05243 – a Chinese funeral on Fisgard Street, circa 1892, with the Janion in the background.
- BC Archives photo I-04709 – CP Rail locomotive outside the Janion, 1979. A reminder that this area was a warehouse and light industrial area until the 1980’s.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?