Broad Street – 1300 Block / Johnson Street – 600 Block
1330 Broad Street / 615-625 Johnson Street
This building at 615-625 Johnson Street and 1330 Broad Street was originally built in 1874 by Simeon Duck as the Canada Hotel. Simeon Duck also built the adjacent building at 1314-1322 Broad Street and this building is still legally amalgamated with 1314-1322 Broad Street.
This building was listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 2005. It is currently owned by the University of Victoria which has submitted a redevelopment proposal for this building and the adjacent building at 1314-1322 Broad Street.
Additional Information About 615-625 Johnson Street / 1330 Broad Street
This building is legally amalgamated with the adjacent Duck’s Building at 1314-1322 Broad Street
- Assessed Value (July 2019): $7,659,000; Land $3,429,000 Buildings $4,230,000
- Assessed Value (July 2018): $6,296,000; Land $3,049,000 Buildings $3,227,000
- Assessed Value (July 2017): $5,794,000; Land $3,188,000 Buildings $2,606,000
- Assessed Value (July 2016): $4,790,000; Land $3,031,000 Buildings $1,759,000
- Assessed Value (July 2015): $4,462,000; Land $2,612,000 Buildings $1,850,000
- Assessed Value (July 2014): $4,538,000; Land $2,469,000 Buildings $2,069,000
- Canadian Register of Historic Places
A Brief History of 615-625 Johnson Street / 1330 Broad Street
We will add more history in the near future.
Here are links to some historic photographs of 615-625 Johnson Street / 1330 Broad Street:
- City of Victoria Archives photo M00431 – 1927, as Jim Bryant’s Bicycle Shop and gas station.
- City of Victoria Archives photo M03288 – 1959
Here are some links to articles about the current redevelopment proposal for this building:
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?