914 St. Charles Street was designed and built in 1910 by architect Percy Leonard James for William & Margaret Galliher, who named their house Bannavern. The house was built by contractor N. Bennick & Sons at an estimated 1910 construction cost of $14,000.

In 1994 the house was converted into six condominiums. 914 St. Charles Street was designated heritage in 1999.

The gate of Bannavern, 914 St. Charles Street, designed by architect Percy Leonard James in 1910.

The gate of Bannavern, 914 St. Charles Street, designed by architect Percy Leonard James in 1910.

 

Bannavern, 914 St. Charles Street, designed by architect Percy Leonard James in 1910.

Bannavern, 914 St. Charles Street, designed by architect Percy Leonard James in 1910.

A Brief History of 914 St. Charles Street, Bannavern

The Hon. William Alfred Galliher (1860-1934) was a lawyer who was elected to Parliament as a Liberal member for Yale-Cariboo in 1900 and Kootenay in 1904. He retired from federal politics in 1908, after which he was appointed to the British Columbia Court of Appeal in 1909.

In 1910, William Galliher and his wife Margaret Galliher (1880-1956) retained architect Percy Leonard James to design this house at 914 St. Charles Street. William Galliher lived here until his death in 1934. Margaret Galliher lived here until about 1940.

Subsequent occupants include Harold B. & Myra G. Elworthy (circa 1943-1946); Quita Nichol (1875-1968), the widow of former B.C. Lt. Governor Hon. Walter Cameron Nichol (1866-1928), lived here circa 1946 until her death in 1968.

In 1994 the house was converted into six condominiums. 914 St. Charles Street was designated heritage in 1999.

For more information about 914 St. Charles Street:

For more information on William Alfred Galliher (1860-1934)

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?